Commercial Loan Officer
General Function: Successfully obtain, manage and build profitable account relationships with the majority clients being complex business members. Interact with business owners on a daily basis and proactively identify financial products that may benefit the business. Ensures the overall success and growth of an assigned portfolio by expanding relationships of existing members and through the acquisition of new members. Reports to Commercial Loan Manager.
- Follow all approved Commercial Loan procedures as explained and trained by the Commercial Loan Manager, Commercial Credit Officer and Chief Lending Officer.
- Perform all projects as requested by Commercial Loan Manager
- Maintain ongoing communication with Commercial Loan Manger, informing them of all pertinent problems, new developments, changes and other information.
- Maintain knowledge of loan programs (both Federal and State) including but not limited to SBA, B&I, and MBOI programs.
- Pursue Business Lending opportunities within community, including analyzing potential loan markets and developing referral networks in order to locate prospects for loans.
- Pass on to other Lending personnel loans which would present a conflict of interest.
- Meet with applicants to obtain information for loan applications and to answer questions about the process; explain the different types of loans and credit options that are available, as well as the terms of those services.
- Obtain and compile copies of applicants' credit histories, corporate financial statements, and other financial information; and analyze applicants' financial status, credit, and property evaluations to determine feasibility of granting loans.
- Submit applications to credit analysts for verification and recommendation.
- Adhere to financial lending metrics as defined by Commercial Credit Officer, Chief Lending Officer, Senior Management Team, Credit Committee and Board of Directors.
- Approve commercial loans within specified limits, and refer loan applications outside those limits to management for approval; and submit Commercial Loan applications which exceed specified limits to Board of Directors as required.
- Determine loan terms, amounts to be advances and conditions of repayment.
- Maintain clear, concise and current Commercial Loan files; and periodically review loan agreements to ensure that they are complete and accurate according to policy.
- Serve as primary contact with Commercial Loan Members throughout lifetime of the loan.
- Stay abreast of all compliance and regulatory laws relating to Commercial Loan practices.
- Handle customer complaints and take appropriate action to resolve them.
- Work with Collections Department with regards to delinquent loans.
- Self-monitor to ensure timeliness and accuracy of work.
- Attend Commercial Loan Officer meetings as required.
- Work proactively and positively with other Commercial Loan Department personnel to ensure a “team effort” and prompt Member service.
- Work effectively with all other Whitefish Credit Union personnel to ensure that the Commercial Loan Department functions appropriately in relation to other departments.
- Comply with all BSA requirements as stated in the Whitefish Credit Union BSA Policy.
- Follow all Whitefish Credit Union, Montana and Federal information privacy guidelines.
- Adhere to all Whitefish Credit Union policies and procedures.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Personal and professional honesty, integrity and respect for all co-workers and Members.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally with Members, Co-workers, Supervisor, Chief Credit Officer, Loan Committee Members and Senior Management Team.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of an established team.
- Ability and willingness to learn on the job and improve commercial lending-related skills within context of Whitefish Credit Union policies and procedures over time.
- Ability to prioritize work and juggle multiple simultaneous projects.
- Ability and willingness to work with a variety of office equipment and software systems.
- Participation in Whitefish Credit Union-sponsored and community-centered events.
Required Education and Experience:
- A.A. or Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Educational background in finance, accounting or banking preferred but not required.
- 5+ years’ professional experience in Commercial Lending or related experience required.
- Ability to be bonded required.
This job description is to be considered a general outline of the duties and responsibilities of this position and is subject to changes and revisions by management at any time. Responsibilities are listed as guidelines only and the job is not necessarily limited to these specifications.